5 steps to get into VLSI Product companies from Tier 3 college

Are you a student from a tier 3 college with dreams of working for top-notch VLSI product companies? While it might seem like a daunting challenge, it's entirely possible with the right strategy and determination. In this post, we'll unveil a detailed 5-step guide that can help you break into the VLSI industry, regardless of your college's reputation.


Introduction:

So, you come from a tier 3 college? You don’t think you can get a job? Let alone a job in VLSI product companies?

First of all, let’s accept that you lack in brand of your degree compared to a Tier 1 college student.

Let’s also accept that you will have to put in harder work than a Tier 1 College student.

But, Brand of your education is one part of the profile.

There are 5 parts of a profile:

  • Brand of college
  • Technical Understanding of Subject
  • Communication ability of your understanding
  • Initiative- to try hard.
  • Ability to showcase your work

So, you have lost 1/5 battle i.e 20%. Let’s see how we can change the rest of 80% with 5 step method

Step 1: Identify Your Target – Make a List of Job Profiles and Companies

The first step in your journey towards landing a job in a VLSI product company is to identify your target.

Research and compile a list of job profiles that interest you in these companies.

Some popular job profiles in VLSI product companies include ASIC Design Engineer, Verification Engineer, FPGA Engineer, and Analog Layout Designer.

Examples of notable VLSI product companies are Intel, NVIDIA, Qualcomm, and AMD. Start by creating a spreadsheet with these job profiles and companies.

Read more: VLSI Engineer’s Guide to Product-Based Companies

Step 2: What do Product companies need?

Now that you have your target list, it’s time to understand what skills are required for these roles.

Analyze job postings on company websites and job portals to identify common skill requirements. Typical skills may include:

  • Digital and Analog Circuit Design
  • Verilog and VHDL Programming
  • FPGA and ASIC Design Flow
  • Verification Techniques
  • Semiconductor Device Physics
  • CAD Tools like Cadence or Synopsys
  • Problem-Solving and Debugging Skills

Next, research relevant courses that can help you acquire these skills. NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning) offers excellent courses in VLSI and related fields. Some NPTEL courses that can be beneficial are:

  • “VLSI Design” by IIT Bombay
  • “Digital Circuits and Systems” by IIT Madras
  • “Analog Integrated Circuit Design” by IIT Kanpur

Read more: Kickstart Your VLSI Engineering Career with Top Courses and Resources!

Step 3: What skills do Product companies engineer have?

Enroll in these NPTEL courses and dedicate time to learning and practicing the skills required for VLSI roles. Be proactive and seek additional learning resources, such as textbooks and forums, to deepen your understanding.

Hands-on experience is invaluable, so consider doing small projects on platforms like FPGA boards or software simulators. Build a portfolio of your work to showcase your abilities.

Read more: Become a VLSI Designer : Free Tools, without any Degree

Step 4: How Can I get Product companies Skills?

To stand out, work on projects that align with your target job profiles. Here are some examples:

  • FPGA-Based Digital System: Design and implement a digital system using FPGA boards. Showcase your ability to work with hardware description languages (HDLs) like Verilog or VHDL.
  • ASIC Design Project: Collaborate with classmates on an ASIC design project, such as designing a basic microcontroller or a custom digital signal processor (DSP).
  • Open-Source Contributions: Contribute to open-source VLSI projects like Qflow or Magic. Your contributions will be visible to the VLSI community.

Step 5: Network and Showcase Your Work

Networking is crucial in the job search process. Attend industry conferences, webinars, and workshops to connect with professionals in the VLSI field.

Create a LinkedIn profile if you don’t have one and regularly update it with your projects, coursework, and any relevant achievements.

Engage with industry experts and company recruiters by sharing your insights and contributing to discussions. Consider joining VLSI-related LinkedIn groups to expand your network.

Read more: Why LinkedIn is a Must-Have for Students and Freshers

Conclusion:

In conclusion, landing a job in VLSI product companies as a fresher from a tier 3 college is possible with dedication and a strategic approach.

By identifying your target, acquiring the right skills through NPTEL courses, gaining practical experience with projects, and networking effectively, you can increase your luck surface area and open doors to exciting career opportunities in the VLSI industry.

Good luck on your journey in increasing the luck surface area of career.

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Articles: 1799